Courses and Programs

Courses at Lindenwood are numbered sequentially.

  • 01000-09999: Preparatory coursework, with credit hours not counting toward the cumulative total number of credit hours required to earn a bachelor’s degree.
  • 10000-19999: Introductory courses open to all students, normally not having prerequisites
  • 20000-29999: Specialized courses open to all students
  • 30000-39999: Advanced courses having prerequisites
  • 40000-49999: Senior level courses, having prerequisites
  • 50000-70099: Master’s, Thesis, Ed.S., or EdD courses

    Each course description includes a statement indicating the anticipated offering of the course. Courses may be offered in any of the following sequences:

    • Fall and spring semesters

    • Fall semester only

    • Spring semester only

    • Fall semester of even numbered years

    • Spring semester of even numbered years

    • Fall semester of odd numbered years

    • Spring semester of odd numbered years

    • Intermittently

    All summer and J-Term courses are offered on an intermittent basis. All academic credit is offered in credit hours.

    Note: Actual course offerings are dependent on student enrollment and availability of qualified instructors. The University reserves the right to cancel any course when enrollment is below minimum requirements or an instructor is not available.

    Special topics courses, listed alphabetically according to department prefix (indicated here by “XXX”), are followed by a course number, as follows: XXX 19000-19999, XXX 29000-29999, XXX 39000-39999, XXX 49000-49999, XXX59000-59999, XXX69000-69999. These courses are offered to cover special topics within a school or department. Special topics courses may earn 1 to 6 credit hours and may be repeated, in some cases. Departments may designate specific course numbers for special topics courses if the courses meet general education or major requirements.

    In an online course, 100% of course instruction is delivered using an online learning management system platform. There is no time spent in a physical classroom but proctored exams may be required. In some cases, students may meet for an introductory and/or summary meeting; however, these meetings are not mandatory.

    Students enrolled in online classes will be expected to participate in the class academically. Attendance for this method of instruction is defined as submitting academic assignments, taking exams, participating in online discussions about academic matters, or initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course. Simply logging into an online class without active participation does not constitute academic attendance.

    Semester undergraduate students are limited to taking two online classes per semester, except for those students enrolled in the Early Access MBA program or any program offered entirely online.


    A hybrid course is a method of instruction in which 75% or more of the course is taught using a learning management system platform. Time in the classroom is reduced but not eliminated.

    A tutorial is a class listed in the catalog taught to a student on an individual basis. The content of the course is the same as the material taught in the regular class. The contact time requirement for a tutorial is one documented contact hour per week during which the subject matter will be discussed and student progress evaluated. Only instructors who have previously taught the class in the regular session will be approved to teach a tutorial unless permission is granted by the dean. Only students with a true need will be considered for a tutorial, and it is up to the academic school and instructor whether to grant a tutorial. It is strongly recommended that undergraduate students who are granted tutorials have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA. Graduate students should have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA to qualify for a tutorial course.

    To enroll in a tutorial course, the Tutorial Proposal form must be completed, signed, and returned to the Registrar’s Office no later than the third week of the term in which the work is to be done. An add/drop/enrollment form and a syllabus must be attached.

    An independent study is an innovative, nonstandard class involving independent research/study on the part of the student under the guidance of an instructor. The contact time requirement for an independent study is one documented contact hour every two weeks. It is strongly recommended that undergraduate students who are granted independent studies have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA. Graduate students should have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA to qualify for an independent study course. Independent study courses cannot be used to meet an undergraduate general education requirement.

    To enroll in an independent study course, the Independent Study Proposal form must be completed, signed, and returned to the Registrar’s office no later than the third week of the term in which the work is to be done. An add/drop/enrollment form and a 1-2 page course outline prepared by the student after consultation with the instructor must be attached.

    Internships are available in many areas of study and provide the opportunity for students to obtain academic credit through an out-of-classroom work experience. Academic schools’ standards vary by program. Students interested in applying for internships should contact their faculty advisors for additional information. Internships are billed at the current tuition rate per credit hour. Internships are graded on a pass/fail basis.

    Between the fall and spring semesters, a January term (J-Term) is offered, giving both students and faculty members the opportunity to concentrate on a topic of special interest. The January term courses emphasize experimental education, immersion in a topic or activity, creativity, and close interaction with one faculty member or a team of faculty.

    Up to four credit hours may be earned at no charge to the student during J-Term. (Students may register for up to four credit hours, for which the tuition for those hours will be waived.) No student may enroll for more than four hours during J-Term without permission from his/her academic advisor and the Provost.

    To be eligible for tuition waiver during J-Term enrollment, a student must be a full-time semester undergraduate student, have been enrolled during the previous fall semester as a full-time student, and be enrolled for the upcoming spring semester as a full-time student. Residential students who meet the above criteria will not be assessed room, board, and communication fees during the J-Term. Students enrolled less than full-time during the previous fall semester or during the upcoming spring semester are eligible to take classes during J-Term at the published tuition rate. All students who plan to reside on campus during the January Term must be enrolled in a class that meets during the specified days of J-term.

    J-term classes operate in an accelerated format of 10-12 class meeting; therefore, all students must be prepared to participate fully in class on the first meeting day. The last day to enroll in a J-term class is during the last week in December. See the academic calendar in the front of this catalog for the specific date. Students will be permitted to enroll in a J-term class after this date only under extraordinary circumstances beyond the student’s control. All J-term classes have a first day assignment that must be submitted at the start of class on the first meeting day. Textbooks for J-term classes will be available in the bookstore during the last week of the fall semester. Students must bring the textbook to class on the first meeting day of J-term. Detailed course descriptions, first day assignments, and textbook information on J-term classes will be posted on pccommon before J-term course enrollment begins. Students are advised to review this information and understand it fully before selecting a J-term class. No student will be permitted to change J-term classes after the last date to add a J-term class.

    Note: Students suspended at the end of the fall semester may not take a J-Term class.

    Lindenwood University belongs to a consortium of colleges and universities in Greater St. Louis. The consortium includes Fontbonne University, Maryville University, Missouri Baptist University, and Webster University. Full-time traditional undergraduate Lindenwood students may enroll in courses offered at colleges and universities in the consortium and count those hours as part of their Lindenwood degree programs. Students must be enrolled full-time at Lindenwood University during the same term of enrollment at colleges and universities in the consortium. No additional tuition cost is involved for combined enrollments between 12 and 18 hours. Lab fees will be charged at the host university.

    A semi-hybrid course is a method of instruction in which less than 75% of the course is taught using a learning management system platform. Time in the classroom is reduced but not eliminated.

    Lindenwood University recognizes the value that studying abroad brings to a student’s education and encourages students to take advantage of study abroad opportunities. The student has the following study abroad options:

    • Faculty-led courses for short-term study abroad, such as courses offered during J-Term, Spring Break, or the summer sessions
    • One of the established LU semester abroad programs.
    • An established program supervised by another American college or university, with academic credits being transferred back Lindenwood.
    • Independent study (either under the direction of a member of the Lindenwood faculty or by a host institution) that has been recognized by the sponsoring member of the Lindenwood faculty. A student who embarks on such study will need to send his or her transcript through World Education Services (WES) for evaluation before the credits can be accepted by LU.

    To be eligible for a study abroad program, the student must:

    • Be in good academic, social, and financial standing with the University, with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
    • Either have facility in the spoken language of the country to which he or she is going or be planning to study the language as a part of the approved study abroad coursework, if this is required for the program.
    • Meet course- or program-specific prerequisites

    All responsibility for travel, finances, application for admission to a foreign institution (where applicable), and the making of any other necessary arrangements rests with the student.   For some programs, a student’s enrollment in a program of study abroad is considered enrollment at the home institution for the purposes of applying for assistance under the Title IV programs. Students should consult the director of financial aid for additional information.  Any student planning to take a course from any institution other than Lindenwood should complete a Prior Approval form before leaving. This will guarantee that the credit will be accepted by LU.

    Any study abroad coursework must be approved by the department at Lindenwood that will recommend credit. The academic advisor will help the student make appropriate course choices.  Final approval of the program and the credit to be granted after completion of the study abroad period rests with the Dean of Academic Services, who acts on the recommendation of the director of the program.  Questions about student study abroad opportunities may be directed to the Director of Study Abroad.

    Note: In order to participate in study abroad programs, students must be degree-seeking students at Lindenwood University. Specific programs may have additional requirements. Deadlines for application vary according to the program, and it is the responsibility of the student to be informed as to those deadlines.


    Lindenwood University has an affiliate agreement with the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). This agreement allows students to participate in a semester-long NOLS course and receive 12-15 credits through the Department of Recreation Administration. Students enrolled in a NOLS semester are charged a reduced tuition rate allowing all remaining financial aid to help pay for the NOLS course. NOLS courses are offered throughout the United States and in many locations around the world. Contact the Chair of the Department of Recreation Administration for more information.

    For information regarding ROTC cross-enrollment and simultaneous membership, see The Department of Military Science in this catalog.