Federal Financial Aid

This program provides work opportunities for needy students. Eligibility is dependent on the extent of financial need, as determined by an analysis of the FAFSA. If a student is awarded work-study funds as part of the financial aid package, that student may seek employment on campus. Ordinarily, a student will work 20 hours per week while attending school. Wages are $9.50 per hour.

The federal government guarantees loans up to $20,500 for eligible graduate students per academic year, up to an aggregate limit of $138,500.

Students must file the FAFSA to determine eligibility for a Stafford Loan. New borrowers can complete a Master Promissory Note and Loan Counseling online at www.studentloans.gov. Lindenwood will receive electronic notification once the application is complete.

This loan provides for a maximum $20,500 per year and $138,500 aggregate for graduate students. Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are not need-based and interest accruing on the loan is not subsidized (or paid) by the federal government while the student is in school. Students must therefore pay the interest payments while in school or allow the interest to capitalize. Interest rates for federally guaranteed student loans are set annually. Please consult the Department of Education website for the current interest rate https://studentaid.ed.gov/types/loans/interest-rates.

Student loans are funds borrowed by students to pay educational expenses. Student loans must be repaid, as outlined in university literature. A sample loan repayment schedule may be obtained by contacting the Financial Aid Office.

Student loan entrance and exit interviews are required for the Federal Stafford Loan Program (required by 34 CFR 685.304). The terms and conditions under which borrowers under the Direct Loan Program may defer payments of their loan principal and interest are reviewed during the exit interview. Additional information regarding deferment of loan repayment may be obtained by contacting the student loan guarantor or the Financial Aid Office.

Assistance may be available for students with disabilities. Students should contact their regional office of vocational rehabilitation in regard to benefits.

Veterans and Service members who believe they may be eligible for benefits can receive information and applications through the Veterans Affairs Center on the St. Charles campus or the VA school certifying official on the Belleville campus. Educational assistance may be provided to widows or children of veterans who have fallen in service or who are disabled as a result of service-related injuries. Spouses and children of disabled veterans may also be eligible for assistance as determined by the United States Department of Veteran Affairs.

It is the responsibility of the students to notify the VA school certifying official of any changes in their class schedules, degree, or major. The VA school certifying officials must promptly report changes to the Department of Veterans Affairs when notified that a veteran is making unsatisfactory progress or has withdrawn from a class or from studies.

The Department of Veterans Affairs requires that institutions report specific information, and as a condition of being certified to receive benefits from the VA, the student receiving such benefits acknowledges the following policies, which may differ from those required of other students at Lindenwood:

  • The university will notify the VA of all terminations, interruptions, or changes in semester-hour load within 30 days of occurrence. This may change the benefits available to the student.
  • The student accepts the responsibility of notifying the registrar, the VA school certifying official at the university, and the student’s advisor immediately in case of withdrawal from any course.
  • The student accepts the responsibility of notifying instructors of any expected absence from class. A student may be withdrawn by the university for excessive absence.
  • The school certifying officials shall inform the Department of Veteran Affairs that progress is no longer satisfactory with the accumulation of 12 or more hours of F grades.
  • Students receiving benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs must comply with the university’s general policies regarding withdrawal, attendance, and satisfactory progress.

If you have any questions regarding veteran’s education benefits including federal and state tuition assistance for the reserves and National Guard components, please call the Lindenwood Veterans Affairs Center at the St. Charles campus at (636) 627-2920 or the William L. Enyart Veterans Success Center at the Belleville campus, at (618) 239-6208.