Education Certification Preparation (Grades K-12)

Students seeking (Grades K-12) certification must (1) earn a bachelor of arts, in one of the content areas listed below and (2) complete the requirements for a minor in education (Grades K-12).

Note that students seeking (Grades K-12) certification or secondary education (Grades 9-12) certification must have an academic advisor from both the content area and from the School of Education to ensure that all DESE requirements for certification have been met. These requirements may exceed the requirements for the degree in the content area.

International students or students who have completed high school outside of the United States are also required to complete coursework in the following areas:

  • English composition, two courses, each a minimum of three credit hours
  • U.S. history, three credit hours
  • U.S. (National) government, three credit hours